Practice birthing maneuvers and the delivery of respectful maternity care
MamaBirthie is a cost-effective way of instructing valuable knowledge in all stages of labor. Practice maneuvers and skills including abdominal and vaginal examinations, normal birth, vacuum assisted delivery, shoulder dystocia and breech. Educate learners to identify and manage potential adverse events, and help ensuring safe patient care.
Use MamaBirthie as a tabletop model for demonstrations, or as a wearable simulation trainer during in-situ team simulations. The quick and easy set-up makes it ideal for repeated practice, both independently or peer-to-peer.
Wearable to accommodate birthing in various positions
Assess fetal positioning and vaginal examination with cervical inserts and simulated membranes
Gain tactile feedback during shoulder dystocia from BabyBirthie's sophisticated neck flexion
Evaluate high risk births; including breech, cord prolapse and partial placenta delivery
Delivering respectful care
Practice interaction and active listening with the use of a standardized patient – learning to support the birthing mother as an active participant.
Combine skills assessment in both clinical treatment and communication to build students’ engagement for respectful care.
Train for any childbirth position
Palpate the baby’s position using anatomical landmarks, and gain additional tactile feedback from palpable fontanels.
The realistic fetal head allows for realistic attachment of vacuum for vaginal assisted delivery and creates a chignon effect.
Management of malpresentations
Utilize the bony structure of BabyBirthie to identify the important landmarks in breech and shoulder presentations.
The right tools – for a job done right
Give learners the best chance of success, letting them practice maneuvers more often.
Use peer-to-peer sessions to create engagement for respectful care, effective communication and risk managing.
Enable Rapid Cycle Deliberate Practice to boost performance – repetition and debriefing are the keys to continuous improvement.
See how University Hospital in San Antonio uses MamaBirthie for community outreach training:
Improving perinatal outcomes
One of the most important objectives during labor and delivery is recognizing the potential risks to mother and baby. MamaBirthie provides an opportunity for community-based education, such as new parent courses, allied health training or peer-to-peer learning, at an affordable cost. It is an important part of the full range of products and services Laerdal can provide to support your educational objectives.
Specifications / Contents
Deliveries and drills
- Normal delivery
- Breech presentation
- Assisted deliveries: forceps and vacuum
- Shoulder dystocia
- Vaginal examination
- Abdominal examination
- Realistic birth canal and pelvic floor to facilitate natural rotation of head as it descends
- Pelvis with palpable landmarks
- Cervix inserts of 4, 6 and 8cm dilation and effacement
- Anatomical landmarks to identify presentation of baby
- Realistic neck articulation
- Palpable fontanelles
- Simulation of chignon effect
- Table clamp for skills training
- Waist strap for wearing on a standardized patient
- MamaBirthie Birthing Simulator and Skills Trainer
- Placenta with umbilical cord and membranes
- 2 Ties for umbilical cord
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Urine catheter
- 20 ml syringe
- Fetal skull with fontanelles
- Cervix Cups (4, 6 & 8 cm dilations)
- BabyBirthie Newborn Simulator (dark or light complexion)
- BabyBirthie hat
- Two sheets to simulate towels
- Table clamp
- Carrying bag for MamaBirthie
- Directions for use
- USB with training and use videos